Npm command not found
This post will be followed precisely if you follow it and I’m certain. The errors that follow are easy to correct. Whatever operating system or infrastructure you’re using is not important.
What is NPM?
It is the Node Package Manager, or NPM is the name of NodeJS program manager. It includes a command line client commonly referred to as npm. Also, It functions as the npm registry. It is an online repository for private and free projects.NodeJS package manager
The registry can be accessed via the client. Additionally, the packages can be searched and browsed on the npm website. Installing, updating and uninstalling packages through an npm command line is the primary job of npm.
Furthermore it is able to develop new applications. First, you must install Node.js on your PC before you are able to use the npm service. With npm, users are able to download the modules from the registry following installation of Node.js. You can define the requirements of your project by using the management of packages, which indicates that the tool or site requires specific third-party components to perform (or create). It will then determine the requirements of these modules and begin downloading the software for them.
What’s the benefits and the applications that are the benefits and applications NPM?
The advantages and benefits that come with NPM are as they are:
- Be aware of regional requirements.
- Control the tools that are deployed worldwide for the project.
- Manage the requirements and different codes and their various editions.
- Make yourself ready for standalone applications by downloading these.
- Package-lock.json The package, which NPM provides includes every project’s dependency and is also available.
- Recursive requirements are taken care of.
- The dependencies do not have to be included to be included in your collection. They are able to be constructed as needed.
- The versions of these applications on which you count are easily identifiable and updated.
What’s the cause of an “NPM command not found” error?
Most of times, this type of error occurs when the system is unable to locate the place of the npm and NodeJS installation. It could happen when you’ve not set up the PATH for packages or downloaded npm or NodeJS to your system.
If the npm executable files is not found the computer will display this error warning notification “command not found” as explained above. The PATH environment variable on your device is required to be updated every time you install or alter your npm edition so that it includes the directory that contains the executable file for npm.
The PATH environment variable could not be correctly defined and this would be the reason why the npm command is not found. You need to add the directory that contains the executable file of npm in the variable PATH to fix the problem. To accomplish this, you need to first identify the location of the executable file for npm. Windows GUI is a way to change your PATH variables.
Additional Causes –
- The way to install NPM is not working properly
- There isn’t a Node.js installation
- Permissions to be granted
- Installing an obsolete node version
- There’s not a package.json file that lists the dependencies.
- Incomplete integrity check
NPM Command not located error finding solutions
on Windows OS
- Install Node.js from https://nodejs.org/en/download/.
- Select”Windows Installer” or the “Windows Installer” choice with the “.msi” suffix, then choose the 32- or 64-bit platform that is most suitable for your requirements.
- The installation process begins when Node.js is installed. Select Next after you’ve agreed to the conditions.
- The user will be asked by the dialog to go to your location for you Node.js installation. Any location that works for your needs is acceptable.
- It will prompt you to install additional tools with respect to Node.js in the pop-up window. If it’s not absolutely necessary then leave it alone.
- You will be asked to download the two programs Node.js and Chocolatey in the pop-up window. If you are not absolutely required do not install it.
- In the next window you’ll be asked to begin downloading. Select Install. Installing will begin.
- Verify the installation of npm by using the command following activation.
|> npm -v|
If you’re having issues experiencing your “npm command not found” error, it is due to your Mac OS. For the best results I suggest you remove the current install and follow the steps listed below.
- The Node_modules directory should be deleted.
> rm -rf /usr/local/lib/node_modules
- Utilizing brew, delete Node JS on your system.
> Brew Uninstall Node
- Installing nodes without NPM is feasible.
> brew install node --without-npm ###Then#### > echo prefix=~/.npm-packages >> ~/.npmrc
- With the help of the installation script download the NPM package.
> curl -L https://www.npmjs.com/install.sh | sh
- In Bash, establish an environment variable
> export PATH="$HOME/.npm-packages/bin:$PATH"> export PATH="$HOME/.node/bin:$PATH"
This will solve any of the macOS NPM-related issues.
On Debian Linux or Ubuntu
The process of installing Node.js and NPM to the original source is easy if you’re using Debian, Ubuntu, or another Linux distribution that is based on Debian.
- Utilize the following command on your ports to make changes to your Debian or other Ubuntu repository:
sudo apt-get update
- To turn on Node JS to activate it, type the following command into your terminal:
sudo the following: apt-get install nodejs
- By using your command-line, you can launch NPM by typing in the following:
sudo Install apt-get NPM
- By using the scripts below You can test the versions after downloading both:
- Verify the version of the node
- Verify which version of npm you have installed:
Modifications to the variable in the system or path can cause an error in the npm
When installing node js and npm on Windows and Ubuntu Variables and Paths are already set in the standard. But, this isn’t the norm. Maybe you’ve mishandled it. There is a chance that you will encounter the error message npm command not found even in this scenario.
How to verify the path variable in Windows 10’s npm
first, ensure initially, make sure Windows 10 has node js and the npm installation. It is essential to complete the next steps in case it’s already installed.
Ask questions about the variable that affects the environment.
- Open the application after typing “environment variable” in the search window.
- Through on the System Properties’ Advanced tab Choose “Environment variables.”
- Choose Edit after selecting “Path.”
- Check your “C: Program Filesnodejs” NPM path. It acts as Node.JS and npm’s normal directories for target by default.
- Select New, then add npm variables location “C:Program Filesnodejs” > Hit OK if the path to the npm variable isn’t already present.
- Be aware that you need to replace your target folder to the standard “C: Program Filesnodejs”. If you choose to install in an alternative folder.
Ubuntu 20.04 How can I study the NPM path variable
You must first determine if npm has been downloaded. If not follow the instructions in this article for instructions on the steps to download NPM as well as NodeJS to Ubuntu 20.04.
- Make sure you know the default path
$ what is npm
- We now need to know if the /etc/environment file contains a location of their npm command or the /usr/bin/npm directory.
$ cat /etc/environment
- You’ll notice that my environmental variable already contains the /usr/bin directory. Therefore, I don’t face this problem. If your npm directory isn’t in this folder, then add it.
$ vi /etc/environment
- At the end of your file, you should add the NPM directory path separated by the colon “:”. Save and exit the document. Make sure that the path for npm must be enclosed with quotes. (“”). In my instance, the path is /usr/bin. Review the environment file for any updates.
$ source $ source
Problems that are related to “node modules” permissions
To give permission to control the user in case you’ve had issues with consent you can use this command. The command is available for both Linux as well as Mac clients can benefit from it.
Users of Macs
$ sudo chown -R $(whoami):admin /usr/local/lib/node_modules/
Users of Linux
$ sudo chown -R $(whoami):root /usr/local/lib/node_modules/
Installed an old version Node
If you are currently running an older version of the npm program installed. This command can be used to update it to the latest version, in order to correct the npm command found error.
- If you are using Ubuntu Linux, execute this command.
The command is $ sudo to install [email protected]
- Verify the version of Node.
$ npm -v
Windows Users only
- Run every one of these PowerShell commands below one at a.
c Set-ExecutionPolicyUnrestricted -Scope CurrentUser -Force Install npm -g npm-windows-upgrade > npm-windows-upgrade
- Review Node version
C:> > node
There is no package.Json file problem
If you’re using the NPM install command, make sure your package.json file exists in the same folder prior to proceeding. If not, problems with installing npm could occur.
- To check whether the package.json file is present or not, you can use the tool ls –l.
$ ls -1index.jspackage-lock.jsonpackage.json
- Use the npm installation command following that, each time from the root directory, following the guidelines. Every one of the packages mentioned in the package.json document’s requirement object will be automatically installed using the npm installation command.
Integrity verification was not successful
If you are trying to run the npm install command ensure that the project folder includes an package.json file. This package-lock.json authenticity of your file is evaluated to the authenticity of the package you have installed. The integrity check will result in a failure error if there are any discrepancies.
- It is necessary to move or remove your lock file and also clear the cache of npm, in order to get rid of this error. If you are in you’re in the main directory for your app, follow the following steps.
- Your package-lock.json file must be removed or relocated.
$ sudo rm package-lock.jsonor$ sudo mv package-lock.json /tmp
- A node-modules directory can be removed or moved. It’s possible to remove it, however I’d recommend moving it to another directory or the /tmp directory to ensure it is possible to undo any changes when needed.
$ sudo mv node_modules /tmp # in case you want to delete $ sudo rm -rf node_modules
|$ sudo mv node_modules /tmp|
# in case you wish to erase
$ sudo rm -rf node_modules
- Forcing the npm cache to be cleared.
$ Clean npm cache --force
The npm install command should be run once the command. This should resolve your integrity issues.
For a lot of internet developers using npm, it is an essential tool, however installing and upgrading it can be a challenge. For instance, the “npm is not found” error is a common problem that could be caused by many different reasons. However, there are several solutions to fix the issue. Most of the time the only thing you need to do is to change your PATH environmental variable. Try removing and rebuilding NPM when this doesn’t work. You should be able to configure npm no issue after a little of troubleshooting.
A variety of solutions for various solutions to “npm command not found” error were explained in the article. We found a way to solve this issue by installing new as well, and in case it was already been setup by configuring certain parameters. To correct this issue we tackled issues related to installation variables, path variables and permissions.
Addresses of NPM packages that are distributed throughout the world. The npmlist using the -g command is the easiest method to determine the exact location where the packages in general are loaded. NPM is installed on the /usr/local/bin/npm Soft linked path on macOS systems. The npm program can be located under /usr/local/lib/node modules.
If you’re using the npm init command, you can create an application using node.js. You could test the execution with the help of the test run by npm. When working with CI/CD tools is essential. If tests fail, it is crucial to know the cause. The CI/CD will rollback the test; the deployment process will not take place.
A project as well as its dependencies can be installed through using the NPM install command. The npm installation explain command will provide more information and guidance on syntax.
This means that the command npm is not being understood. Download the node js application and then run it. If you are using Windows, NPM will be created eventually using node.js. Install node.js first, then the npm package for those who use operating systems other that Windows (Linux as well as Mac).