Are you frustrated with the constant interruption of your Instagram experience due to the app suddenly stopping? You’re not alone. Many Instagram users have encountered the issue where the app unexpectedly closes, hindering their ability to browse, post, or interact with others. But fret not, as we’ve got you covered with this comprehensive guide on why Instagram keeps stopping and how you can resolve the issue.
In this article, we will explore the possible reasons behind this problem and provide step-by-step solutions to help you get your Instagram app back on track. From simple troubleshooting methods to more advanced fixes, we’ll equip you with the necessary knowledge to overcome this frustrating issue and continue enjoying your favorite social media platform.
Reasons why Instagram keeps stopping.
There can be several reasons why Instagram keeps stopping. Here are some possible causes:
- Outdated Instagram app: Using an outdated version of the app can lead to compatibility issues and frequent crashes.
- Insufficient device storage: When your device’s storage is nearly full, it can cause Instagram to crash or freeze.
- Conflicting apps: Certain third-party apps installed on your device may conflict with Instagram, resulting in the app stopping unexpectedly.
- Corrupted data: If the data associated with the Instagram app becomes corrupted, it can lead to crashes and instability.
- Software updates: Running outdated software on your device, including the operating system, can cause compatibility problems with Instagram.
- Incompatible device: Some older devices may not meet the minimum requirements to run the latest version of Instagram, causing frequent crashes.
- Network connectivity issues: Poor or unstable internet connection can disrupt the proper functioning of Instagram, leading to crashes.
- Cache and temporary files: Accumulated cache and temporary files within the Instagram app can sometimes cause it to crash.
- Overloaded device resources: Running multiple resource-intensive apps or processes simultaneously can overload your device’s resources, causing Instagram to stop unexpectedly.
- Bugs or software glitches: Like any app, Instagram can have bugs or software glitches that may cause it to crash.
Identifying the specific reason behind the issue will help you troubleshoot and resolve the problem effectively.
How to fix Instagram keeps stopping?
Fix 1: Update the Instagram App
One of the common reasons behind Instagram app crashes is using an outdated version. To resolve this issue, follow these steps to update the Instagram app:
- Open the Google Play Store (for Android) or the App Store (for iOS).
- Search for “Instagram” and locate the app in the search results.
- If an update is available, you will see an “Update” button next to the app.
- Tap on the “Update” button to initiate the app update.
- Wait for the update process to complete, and the latest version of Instagram will be installed on your device.
Updating the Instagram app ensures that you have the most recent version with bug fixes, performance improvements, and compatibility updates. This step can effectively resolve crashes caused by outdated software.
It is recommended to enable automatic app updates on your device to ensure that you always have the latest version of Instagram installed. This way, you won’t have to manually update the app every time a new version is released.
By keeping your Instagram app up to date, you can minimize the chances of crashes and enjoy a smoother experience on the platform.
Fix 2: Clear Cache and Data of the Instagram App
Accumulated cache and temporary files within the Instagram app can sometimes lead to crashes. Clearing the cache and data can help resolve this issue. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the Settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down and find the “Apps” or “Applications” option. Tap on it.
- Locate and tap on “Instagram” in the list of installed apps.
- Within the Instagram app settings, you will find options like “Storage” or “Storage Usage.” Tap on it.
- You will see two buttons: “Clear Cache” and “Clear Data.”
- Start by tapping on “Clear Cache.” This action will remove the temporary files stored by the app.
- After clearing the cache, tap on “Clear Data.” This will delete all app data, including your login information and preferences. Note that this action will not delete your Instagram account or the content you’ve posted.
- Confirm the action when prompted.
Once you’ve cleared the cache and data, launch the Instagram app again. It will start with a fresh slate, and any potential issues related to cached data should be resolved. You may need to log in again with your Instagram credentials. Clearing the cache and data of the Instagram app can be an effective solution when crashes occur due to corrupted or conflicting data.
Fix 3: Check and Free Up Device Storage
Insufficient device storage can also contribute to Instagram crashes. When your device’s storage is nearly full, it can impact the app’s performance and stability. To address this issue, follow these steps to check and free up device storage:
- Open the Settings menu on your device.
- Look for the “Storage” or “Storage & USB” option and tap on it.
- You will see a breakdown of your device’s storage usage, including the amount of free space available.
- If the available space is limited, tap on “Cached data” or “Other” to see which apps or files are taking up the most space.
- Identify any unnecessary apps, files, or media that you can delete to free up storage. Consider removing old photos, videos, or apps that you no longer use.
- To remove unwanted apps, tap on “Apps” or “Applications” within the storage settings, select the app you want to uninstall, and tap on “Uninstall” or “Delete.”
- For media files, open the Gallery or File Manager app on your device, select the files you want to delete, and choose the “Delete” option.
By freeing up device storage, you provide more room for Instagram to function properly, reducing the chances of crashes due to insufficient resources. Regularly checking and managing your device’s storage can help maintain optimal performance not just for Instagram but for other apps as well.
Fix 4: Reinstall the Instagram App
If the previous fixes didn’t resolve the issue, you may consider reinstalling the Instagram app. Reinstalling can help resolve any underlying issues or corrupted files that may be causing the app to crash. Follow these steps to reinstall the Instagram app:
- On your device, go to the home screen and find the Instagram app icon.
- Press and hold the Instagram app icon until a menu or options appear.
- Look for the option that says “Uninstall” or an “x” symbol indicating deletion. Tap on it.
- Confirm the uninstallation when prompted.
- After the app is uninstalled, go to the Google Play Store (for Android) or the App Store (for iOS).
- Search for “Instagram” and locate the official Instagram app.
- Tap on the “Install” or “Get” button to download and install the app.
- Wait for the installation process to complete.
- Once the app is installed, tap on the Instagram icon to launch it.
- Log in with your Instagram credentials.
Reinstalling the app ensures that you have a fresh installation without any corrupted files or settings. This process can help resolve issues that couldn’t be fixed through other troubleshooting methods.
Note: Reinstalling the Instagram app will not delete your Instagram account or the content associated with it. All your account information and posts will still be accessible after reinstalling the app.
By reinstalling the Instagram app, you give it a clean start, which can effectively address crashes and provide a more stable user experience.
Fix 5: Check for and Install Software Updates
Running outdated software on your device, including the operating system, can cause compatibility issues with the Instagram app, leading to frequent crashes. It is important to keep both your device’s software and the Instagram app updated. Follow these steps to check for and install software updates:
- Open the Settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on the “System” or “Software Update” option.
- Look for the “Check for updates” or “Download updates” button and tap on it.
- If an update is available, follow the prompts to download and install it.
- After the update is installed, restart your device.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on “General” and then select “Software Update.”
- If an update is available, tap on “Download and Install.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process. Your device may need to restart during this process.
Updating both your device’s software and the Instagram app ensures that you have the latest compatibility improvements and bug fixes. This can help eliminate crashes caused by outdated software versions.
Regularly checking for software updates and installing them can help maintain a stable and secure environment for your Instagram app and overall device performance.
Read more: How to access drafts on Instagram
Fix 6: Reset App Preferences
In some cases, incorrect app preferences or settings can lead to Instagram crashes. Resetting the app preferences can help resolve this issue. Follow these steps to reset app preferences:
- Open the Settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on “Apps” or “Applications.”
- Look for and tap on “Instagram” in the list of installed apps.
- Within the Instagram app settings, you may find an option called “App Info” or “App Settings.” Tap on it.
- Look for the “Reset App Preferences” option. The location may vary depending on your device and operating system version.
- Tap on “Reset App Preferences” and confirm the action when prompted.
Resetting app preferences will restore the default settings for the Instagram app, including permissions, notifications, and other preferences. It does not delete any app data or content.
After resetting the app preferences, launch the Instagram app again and check if the crashes have been resolved. This action can help eliminate any conflicting or misconfigured settings that may have been causing the app to crash.
Note: After resetting app preferences, you may need to reconfigure certain app settings and permissions according to your preferences.
By resetting app preferences, you give the Instagram app a fresh start with default settings, which can effectively resolve crashes related to incorrect or conflicting preferences.
Fix 7: Factory Reset your Device
If all other fixes have failed to resolve the Instagram crashing issue, you may consider performing a factory reset on your device. However, please note that a factory reset will erase all data and settings on your device, returning it to its original state. Before proceeding with this step, ensure that you have backed up all important data and files. Here’s how you can factory reset your device:
- Go to the Settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on “System” or “General Management.”
- Look for the option called “Reset” or “Reset Options.”
- Tap on “Factory Reset” or “Factory Data Reset.”
- Read the information and warnings displayed on the screen.
- If prompted, enter your device’s security code or PIN.
- Confirm the factory reset and wait for the process to complete.
After the factory reset is complete, your device will be restored to its original settings. You will need to set up your device again, reinstall apps, and restore your data from the backup.
Performing a factory reset can help resolve persistent software issues that may be causing Instagram to crash. However, remember that this is a drastic step and should only be considered as a last resort when all other troubleshooting methods have failed.
It is recommended to seek professional assistance or contact the device manufacturer’s support team for guidance before proceeding with a factory reset.
Fix 8: Contact Instagram Support
If none of the previous fixes have resolved the issue and Instagram continues to crash, it may be necessary to seek assistance from Instagram’s official support channels. The support team can provide personalized guidance and troubleshooting steps to address the specific issue you are facing. Here’s how you can contact Instagram support:
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap on your profile icon to go to your profile page.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top right corner to open the menu.
- Scroll down and tap on “Settings.”
- From the Settings menu, select “Help” or “Help Center.”
- Look for the option to contact support or report a problem. The wording may vary.
- Choose the most relevant category for your issue or select “Report a Problem.”
- Follow the prompts to provide details about the problem you are experiencing.
- Submit your request or report to Instagram.
Alternatively, you can seek help from Instagram’s official support website. Visit the Instagram Help Center and explore the available resources, FAQs, and contact options.
When contacting Instagram support, provide as much information as possible about the issue, including any error messages or patterns you have noticed. This will assist the support team in understanding and addressing the problem more effectively.
By reaching out to Instagram support, you can receive expert assistance and guidance tailored to your specific situation. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue if necessary.
Preventing Instagram Crashes: Tips to Maintain App Stability
While encountering occasional app crashes can be frustrating, there are steps you can take to prevent them from happening frequently. Here are some preventive tips to help maintain app stability and minimize the chances of Instagram crashes:
1. Keep Your Instagram App Updated
Regularly updating your Instagram app ensures that you have the latest bug fixes, performance improvements, and compatibility updates. Enable automatic app updates on your device to stay up to date effortlessly.
2. Maintain Sufficient Device Storage
Regularly check your device’s storage and ensure that you have enough free space for Instagram to function properly. Delete unnecessary apps, photos, and files to free up storage and prevent resource limitations.
3. Avoid Excessive Multitasking
Running too many resource-intensive apps or processes simultaneously can overload your device’s resources. Try to limit multitasking when using Instagram to prevent crashes due to resource constraints.
4. Use a Stable Internet Connection
Instagram heavily relies on a stable internet connection. Ensure that you have a strong and stable Wi-Fi or mobile data connection to avoid connectivity issues that could lead to app crashes.
5. Clear Cache and Temporary Files
Regularly clearing the cache and temporary files within the Instagram app can help prevent crashes caused by accumulated data. Follow the steps mentioned earlier to clear the cache within the app settings.
6. Be Cautious with Third-Party Apps
Exercise caution when installing and using third-party apps alongside Instagram. Some apps may conflict with Instagram and cause crashes. Install apps from trusted sources and monitor their impact on Instagram’s stability.
7. Restart Your Device Regularly
Restarting your device periodically can help refresh system processes and clear any temporary glitches that may affect Instagram’s performance. Consider restarting your device at least once a week.
8. Report and Provide Feedback
If you encounter frequent crashes despite taking preventive measures, report the issue to Instagram’s support team. Providing feedback helps them identify and address underlying issues, improving the app’s stability for all users.
By following these preventive tips, you can maintain a stable Instagram experience and reduce the occurrence of app crashes. Regular maintenance and mindful usage will contribute to a smoother and more enjoyable time spent on the platform.
In conclusion, Instagram crashes can be frustrating, but by updating the app, clearing cache, and optimizing device storage, you can enjoy a more stable experience. If issues persist, contacting Instagram support or considering a factory reset as a last resort may help. Remember to prevent crashes by keeping the app updated, maintaining device storage, and using a stable internet connection. Clearing cache, being cautious with third-party apps, and restarting your device can also contribute to app stability. By following these tips, you can minimize disruptions and have a smoother Instagram browsing experience.
Instagram may keep stopping due to outdated app versions, insufficient storage, conflicting apps, or corrupted data.
Updating the app, freeing up device storage, clearing cache, reinstalling the app, or contacting Instagram support can help fix the crashing issue.
Yes, updating the Instagram app ensures compatibility, bug fixes, and improved performance, reducing the chances of crashes.
If clearing cache doesn’t resolve the issue, try reinstalling the app or seeking assistance from Instagram support.
Yes, when your device’s storage is nearly full, it can lead to Instagram crashes. Freeing up storage is recommended.