Apple’s Airpods are a unique earbud design. I will tell you everything about the apple AirPods tap control. Airpods became a huge craze in 2016 when they were first introduced. I’ll also discuss the AirPod 2 and what the difference is between them. AirPods are difficult to use, especially since they don’t have clearly defined buttons or symbols. You could face serious consequences if you don’t know how to tap the AirPod taps.
You can, for example, call someone without them being aware. Although they were originally designed for iPhones or iPads, Airpods can be used with any Bluetooth-enabled device. AirPods are small enough to be easily carried around. They can fit in pockets and with other things. These devices take up much less space than their predecessors and come with their own cases. They can also be recharged, so you don’t need to worry about where they will go. Let’s discuss briefly AirPods, and the tap controls.
What is the main difference between Airpods (and normal earbuds)?
Before 2020, apple used to send their iPhones with a pair of wired earbuds. It stopped selling wired earbuds for iPods in the year 2022. AirPods can be distinguished from earbuds by the fact that they have a wired connection, while AirPods operate on Bluetooth. Earbuds have a Y shape wire connection that was difficult to manage. AirPods are much more durable than wires. The Airpods have no wire (at least not outside) and are longer-lasting.
Earbuds do not require charging. They can be connected to your phone to play audio. AirPods must be charged according to their battery life. AirPods can be charged wirelessly thanks to a wireless charger. Because the wires can be damaged, you must take care of your earbuds. They don’t come with a case. AirPods come with a charging bag that you can carry and keep. When we look at the design difference between AirPods and apple earbuds then it is obvious that they are identical. It appears like someone took the Apple wired earbuds out of their wires and made a design to fit the AirPods. AirPod Tap Controllers.
There are many varieties of apple AirPods
There are 4 models available for apple Airpods.
- AirPods 2nd Gen
- Airpods 3rd Gen
- AirPods Pro
- AirPods Max
The 1st generation AirPods was also available, but apple has discontinued that. You can see the similarities between the first and second generation AirPods so it is easy to understand the differences. Let’s talk about the different AirPod models:
First, let’s look at how long each AirPods batteries last. This is the most significant (after or prior to price) thing about buying an AirPod.
- AirPods Second Generation: You can listen for up five hours or get 3 hours of talk time in one charge. The case can be charged multiple times so you can enjoy up to 18 hours of talk and 24 hours of listening. You can charge the battery for three hours listening and two hours talk time with a single 15 minute charge.
- Third generation Airpods: Its lithium-ion battery can withstand six hours of listening, or a talk time period of only four hours. You can use it in spatial audio mode for up to five hours. A charge of 10 minutes will give you 2 hours of listening time and 2 hours talk time. These results will vary slightly, but they won’t be too different. Your AirPod will last for 20 hours talk time, or 30 hours listening time if it is charged several times.
- AirPods Pro: The difference in battery backup between AirPod 3rd and AirPods Pro is minimal. A 10 minute charge of AirPods Pro will provide approximately 2 hours listening or talk time. AirPods Pro are capable of sustaining three and half hours worth of talk time and four and half hour of listening time. You may be wondering how long it will last with multiple charging. They are capable of lasting approximately 18 hours talk time and 24 hours of listening.
- AirPods PRO Max: This pair is capable of enduring twenty hours in a single recharge. Apple claims it doesn’t matter how much you use it. You can watch movies, listen and even call. The battery’s lifetime can vary, so it is possible for the time estimate to be inaccurate. But it would not make any difference. As they operate in an ultra-low power state, it is possible to save more battery by keeping them in the smart bag. A charge of about five minutes can give them enough battery life to last for around one and a quarter hours.
What is the price of each apple AirPod?
Let’s take a look at the required budget for each AirPod.
- AirPods 2nd Generation: This piece of buds is $129
- Airpods Third Generation: You must pay $179 to get the 3rd Gen AirPods
- AirPodsPro: AirPodsPro are available for $249
- AirPods Max: This is the most expensive AirPods, so if you’re looking to buy it then prepare to spend $549
This is the list of apple AirPod tapping controls that I will be covering
AirPod can be controlled by touch.
- Activate Siri
- Next audio
- Play the song you have listened to before.
- Pause and play an audio track
- Answer a telephone call
- Refuse to answer a telephone call
- Activate transparency or noise cancellation
- Tune to the music
- Switch between two calls
These were some of the many activities you can do using your AirPods. These activities can also be used with other AirPods. They may not be accessible on your AirPods. Now let’s talk about how to use these tap controls with your AirPods.
How to activate Siri using AirPods
You want to learn how to turn on Siri through your AirPod? But first, to access Siri via the AirPods, please turn Siri on. Follow these steps if you don’t know how activate Siri.
- Go to the settings on your iPhone/iPad.
- Scroll down a bit and click on the Sir and Search option.
- You’ll see the Hey Sirioption. You can toggle it by dragging the device to the right. It will turn green when it is on.
- Next, you’ll see the Push side button to activate Siri, or Press Home to activate Siri option.
Now configure Siri to display the AirPod tap controls you desire. Use these steps to set up your AirPods so that they press twice for AirPods and then press and hold again for AirPods Pro:
- Go to the settings on your iPhone/iPad.
- To access the Bluetooth section, click on the top of this menu. To open it, click the button at the top.
- You will find an “i” next to your AirPod.
- Scroll down on the new menu, and click the option that interests you. There are only 2 options Left and right.
- Select Siri, and you’re done configuring.
Now let’s get to Siri controls with your AirPod. Simply tap
After you have enabled Siri and set it up, you will be able to activate Siri by touching or saying “Hey Siri!” summoning Siri is dependent on the AirPods model. There are different ways to access Siri for different AirPods. This article will cover every AirPod that I have mentioned.
- AirPods Second Generation: To access Siri on this AirPod version, say (do not forget enable “Hey Siri”) and connect them. To control it touch controls double-tap your AirPod. After you have set with Siri, wait for the chime. Then you can order Siri anything you like.
- AirPods3rd generation: Connect your iPhone or an iPad first, then Press and hold AirPods’ force sensor. Once you hear a chime, let go of your finger and give Siri your instructions. I’m not required to remind you but please configure your AirPods third generation first. To speak to Siri, say “Hey Siri”.
- AirPods Pro Max: Accessing Siri is similar on all versions of AirPods Pro. However, you will need to follow the same steps as we did for AirPod 3rd Generation. Press and hold the force sensors of your choice (configured AirPod), then wait for a sound and release your finger. Yes! You can also use the “Hey Siri” command to make your requests.
I believe that now that I have covered all the latest AirPod versions except for AirPods 1, there is no reason to leave it behind. The following steps can be used to access Siri from an AirPod 1st-generation:
Connect your AirPods to the device. Tap controls for Siri are different between the AirPods 1st and AirPods 2nd generation. You don’t need hold down on the AirPods 2nd generation. Double-tap your pre-configured AirPod and then, once you hear the chime give your instructions.
How to decline or answer an incoming call in AirPod using tap controls
It depends on which version of AirPods your are using to answer and decline calls. Both the new and old generations work with different tap controls.
- Answer an incoming phone number from the AirPods first generation: To double-tap on any AirPods’ side, you will need to tap twice.
- Answer phone calls from the AirPods 2nd Generation: You don’t have to double-tap every call you receive, simply press the side button of any AirPod one time.
- Answer a Phone Call from the AirPods Pro Max and Pro Max: To answer an AirPods Pro phone call, squeeze or press the flat touch sensitive surface (or force sensor), to activate the touch sensor at the stem. AirPods Pro Max can answer a call by pressing the digital crown button. Once it is pressed, it will hold it until it rings again.
Declining a Phone Call
You don’t need to do anything if you want to decline a telephone call. Otherwise, the call will terminate as normal. To decline the call and send it to voicemail, you can press twice on Force Sensor (only available for AirPods Pro Max). It will redirect it to a voicemail. Tap the three-time digital crown button to refuse an incoming call on AirPod Pro Max.
- Stop a call from AirPods 1st Generation: Just like you did in AirPods 1st Generation to answer the phone, tap it twice more when you are done taking. It will then end the call.
- You can end a phone call with the AirPods 2nd & 3rd generations: Just press the side button on any AirPod. This is the same as answering a calling call.
- End a Phone Call from the AirPods Pro Max and Pro Max: When the call is over, press or squeeze on the force sensor. AirPod Pro Max calls can be ended by pressing the digital crown button twice.
How do you manage audio track activities with tap controls on AirPod
Siri is required to manage audio tracks activities. I have provided instructions in the upper section. It is also important to understand how to set it up.
Track controls with the AirPod 1st & 2nd generation
Your AirPods can be connected to Bluetooth. You can pause tracks by taking one of your AirPods out. It will then pause the track. If you wish to continue the track, simply put the AirPod back in your ears and the track will resume playing where it left off. To skip a track, tap twice. AirPod 2nd Generation will skip to next track. AirPod 1st Gen will let you customize the skip track. Your AirPod 2nd generation can be customized to allow you to control audio.
Tap controls track with the AirPod 3rd Generation
It’s important to remember to attach your AirPods to your audio device before you start listening. You can stop a song by simply removing your AirPods. It will also eliminate the stop playing. It is possible to remove just one of your AirPods. To skip tracks to the next, tap twice on your force sensor. To go back to the first track, tap it three times.
Tap controls track with the AirPod Pro
Connect it to a Bluetooth device as usual and put them in your ears. To skip a track, you can tap twice on the force sensor and tap three times to skip to previous track. There are two options for resuming a track. You can either remove them from the screen and place them back in the pause/resume area or press the force sensor to pause a track again and pause it again.
Use the AirPods Pro Max to control the track
Similar tap controls for audio on the AirPod Pro Max are also available. However, there are some differences in how you skip to the next track. AirPods Pro Max requires you to tap twice the digital crown button quickly, and then tap three times, again quickly, to skip to the next track. To go back to the last played track, you must tap the button three times.
How can you activate noise cancellation and transparency mode with AirPods Pro Max, or AirPods Pro
Noise cancellation- What exactly is noise cancellation? It does exactly what its name implies. It cancels out noises from outside, but not your own voice. This feature allows you listen to your audio and not be disturbed by the outside noises. You can find out how it works by looking at the AirPods. When it contacts the sound wave, the AirPods creates a new waveform. AirPods produce a waveform very similar to sound waves. This is why they are able to cancel them out. You can choose to have the feature turn off or reduce the volume. This mode is perfect for when you’re gaming or flying.
Transparency Mode- This mode is the opposite of noise cancellation mode. This feature helps you be more aware of what is going on around you. You can check if your mom is calling you. While the microphone was able to cancel out noise cancellation, it will likely bring the outside voice in. This mode maintains an ideal balance between the outside and the inside voice so you won’t have to miss any audio. This mode is perfect for those times when you want both to drive and listen.
How do I activate noise cancellation and transparency mode using AirPods Pro, Pro Max
The apple AirPods Pro Max and AirPods Pro Max have the noise cancellation option. All other versions do not have the transparency mode nor the noise cancellation. Follow these steps to access the different modes by tapping:
- Hold on to the force sensors (located on stem; it is a small groove you can feel by touching). Don’t touch it accidentally as tapping them will cause the audio track to pause or play.
- Now, if your AirPods had been set to Noise canceling mode, they will switch to transparency mode.
- To confirm that you have switched from transparency to transparency, you will hear a chime with a high pitch. A low pitched chime is an indication that noise cancellation mode has been activated. The chime can both be heard and felt.
- Repeat the steps above to return to your original mode.
To change between transparency and noise cancelation modes on AirPods Max
All you have to do is tap once on the noise control buttons. The noise tap controls button can be found at the top, beside the digital crown. After you have clicked it, wait for the sound to confirm that you have switched between modes. To return to the original mode, tap the noise control button.
How can you switch between transparency mode and noise cancelation using Siri-
This is the easiest option to switch modes. It doesn’t even require you touch your AirPods. Simply tell Siri that you want to change a mode, and it will. You must first enable Siri from the settings. I have explained how to do this. You can command Siri as follows:
- “Hey Siri, change to noise cancelation mode.”
- “Hey Siri, turn off the noise cancelation mode.”
- “Hey Siri, switch on the transparency mode.”
- “Hey Siri, turn off the transparency mode.”
This was easy. You can also switch between transparency and noise cancelation by tapping on the force sensor using an android or windows phone.
How to control audio tracks using AirPods-
Access Siri is required to adjust the volume of your audio with your AirPods. To access Siri using your AirPods, double-tap the side of your AirPods. This will allow you to say, “Siri, please”.
- “Hey Siri, raise the volume”
- “Hey Siri, lower the volume”
You can also set the volume at a certain percentage. Say something like “Hey Siri, set the volume at 50 percent.”
How can you switch between two active phone lines by tapping
If you have just answered a phone call and you receive another call, you should do the following:
AirPods 2nd and 3rd generation: First tap twice to receive calls while you’re on a call. The first call will be placed on hold and answered by the second. Tap twice again to switch between the calls.
AirPods Pro and 3rd-generation AirPods: Tap on your AirPods Pro’s force sensor when the second person arrives. It will hold the first one on call and then switch to the next. If you wish to switch between them, tap on the force sensor again. Touching the force sensors times will terminate the current call.
For AirPods Max: You will need to click the Digital Crown button to answer the next phone call and place the previous one on hold. To switch between your calls, tap the same digital crown button twice. To end the current conversation, tap twice on the digital crown buttons
These were the AirPods tap controls. I have only listed the most common tap controls. There are many tap controls depending on AirPods version. Let’s talk about AirPods version. What do you think? Which AirPod variant should you choose? They will have the best experience. AirPods are like walking flexing. You are considered cool if you have one. AirPods can be a great value for money because of the exceptional listening experience. Let me know if there are any other questions regarding the AirPods. I will be happy to help you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Follow these steps to activate or disable noise cancelation (or transparent mode) via your iPhone/iPad’s control center.
-Go the control center on your iPhone. You can do this in one of two ways. First, swipe down from the top screen of your phone with a face id. Second, swipe upwards from the bottom screen of your phone with a touch ID.
Now hold the volume adjust button (on the bottom) to see the icon of AirPods Pro
You will then see three options: transparency mode, noise cancellation mode, or off. Choose the option that interests you and click “OK”.
If you and your friends want to go the difficult, time-consuming route, who are you to stop? Follow these steps:
-In your settings menu, click the Bluetooth option.
-The connected device will display a list of your AirPods. An information button is located next to each AirPod’s Name. The button looks like an “i”, inside a circle.
-A brand new menu will open in front. The menu will show you three options: noise cancellation, off and transparency. Once you have clicked on the option you wish to change, you can close the menu.
Yes! Two AirPods can be connected to one iPhone by using the audio sharing function. Follow these steps to do this:
First, connect your AirPods with your iPhone
-After connecting them, you can access the control centre of your iPhone
-The AirPlay option will appear. Click on it
-Next, choose the Share audio option
-After you’ve completed all the steps above, take your second pair AirPods to your iPhone and open the charging case.
After you have connected the second pair to your device, click on the Share audio option.