Has your journey through the dynamic world of Night City come to a halt? Is the notorious ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ error standing in your way? You’re not alone. This pesky error has been a thorn in the side for many passionate players. But fret not, fellow cyberpunks! We’re here to empower you with a comprehensive, user-friendly guide. Let’s venture into the intricate cybernetics of this issue, dissect its root causes, and unearth practical solutions. Prepare to dive deep into the exciting realm of game troubleshooting, becoming the hero of your own gaming adventure. It’s time to reclaim your spot in Night City!
Why Does Cyberpunk 2077 Error Occur?
- Unstable or Outdated Game Version: Candidly, the most common culprit is an outdated game version. Cyberpunk 2077 requires regular updates to run smoothly. Ignoring updates might invite the dreadful error.
- Corrupted Game Files: Sometimes, game files may get corrupted, leading to the said error. This can happen during installation, updates, or simply during gameplay. Corrupted files can be a nuisance, creating unforeseen glitches.
- Insufficient Storage: Lack of ample storage can also trigger the error. Remember, Cyberpunk 2077 demands a significant space. Any shortage could spell trouble.
How to fix Cyberpunk 2077 Encountered an Error?
Fix 1: Updating the Game
One of the most common reasons behind the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue is running an outdated version of the game. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to update your game to the latest version:
- Step 1: Launch the Gaming Platform: Whether you’re using Steam, Epic Games, or any other platform, open it first. Ensure that your internet connection is stable before proceeding.
- Step 2: Go to Your Library: Within the platform, navigate to your library, where you’ll find all your games. Locate Cyberpunk 2077 and click on it.
- Step 3: Check for Updates: Usually, you’ll find the ‘Updates’ option under the game’s title. Click on it. If there’s an available update, it’ll be displayed here.
- Step 4: Download and Install Updates: If there’s an update, select ‘Download’ or ‘Update.’ The platform will download and install the update automatically.
- Step 5: Restart Your Game: After the update is installed, restart your game. This ensures the new changes are correctly implemented.
By following these steps, you’ll have the updated version of Cyberpunk 2077. Hopefully, this will resolve your issue and get you back on your quest.
Fix 2: Verifying Game Files
Corrupted or missing game files are often the root of the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error’ problem. Verifying your game files can help resolve this issue. Here’s a step-by-step guide using Steam as an example:
- Step 1: Open Steam Client: Launch your Steam client from the desktop or start menu. Make sure you are signed into your account.
- Step 2: Navigate to Library: Once your Steam client is open, locate and click on the ‘Library’ tab at the top of the window.
- Step 3: Locate Cyberpunk 2077: In your game library, find Cyberpunk 2077. Right-click on the game title and choose ‘Properties’ from the dropdown menu.
- Step 4: Access Local Files: In the properties window, navigate to the ‘Local Files’ tab. Here, you’ll find the option to ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files…’
- Step 5: Verify Game Files: Click on ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files…’. Steam will then begin to check your game’s files. This process can take a few minutes.
- Step 6: Await the Results: If Steam finds any corrupted or missing files during this verification, it will automatically download and replace them.
After the process completes, relaunch Cyberpunk 2077. Hopefully, this will fix the error and allow you to dive back into Night City’s vibrant world.
Fix 3: Increasing Storage Space
Insufficient storage space can often lead to the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue. Here’s how you can increase your storage space:
- Step 1: Check Your Storage: First, check how much storage space you have left. On Windows, you can do this by going to ‘This PC’ and looking at your drives.
- Step 2: Identify Unnecessary Files or Programs: Browse through your system and identify any large, unnecessary files or unused applications.
- Step 3: Uninstall Unused Programs: Go to your control panel, then select ‘Programs and Features.’ Here, you can uninstall any programs you no longer use. Be sure to delete games you no longer play.
- Step 4: Delete Unnecessary Files: Go through your documents, downloads, and other folders. Delete files you don’t need. Remember to empty your recycle bin afterward.
- Step 5: Use Disk Cleanup: You can also use the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup tool. This tool helps you free up space by removing temporary files, system files, and other items you no longer need.
- Step 6: Confirm Increased Storage Space: Go back to ‘This PC’ to confirm you’ve successfully increased your storage space.
Now, relaunch Cyberpunk 2077. More space could provide smoother gameplay and potentially resolve the error you’re facing. Remember to keep your system clutter-free for the best gaming experience!
Fix 4: Reinstalling the Game
If all else fails and the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue persists, it’s time to consider reinstalling the game. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Step 1: Uninstall Cyberpunk 2077: Go to your control panel, select ‘Programs and Features,’ and find Cyberpunk 2077 on the list. Click ‘Uninstall’ and follow the prompts to remove the game from your system.
- Step 2: Restart Your Computer: After uninstalling the game, restart your computer to ensure all changes take effect.
- Step 3: Reinstall Cyberpunk 2077: Open your game platform (Steam, Epic Games, etc.), navigate to your library, and find Cyberpunk 2077. Click ‘Install’ and follow the instructions.
- Step 4: Download and Install Updates: After reinstalling, check for any updates available for the game. If any, download and install them before you launch the game.
- Step 5: Launch the Game: Now, it’s time to start the game. If the error was due to a deep-rooted corrupted file, reinstalling should have resolved the issue.
Reinstalling is a big step, but it can be the solution to various game issues. This fresh start may resolve your Cyberpunk 2077 error, allowing you to return to the thrilling streets of Night City.
Fix 5: Run as Administrator
Another way to resolve the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ error is to run the game as an administrator. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Locate Cyberpunk 2077 Shortcut: Find the Cyberpunk 2077 shortcut on your desktop or in your start menu.
- Step 2: Open Properties: Right-click on the shortcut, then select ‘Properties’ from the dropdown menu.
- Step 3: Navigate to Compatibility Tab: In the Properties window, click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Step 4: Run as Administrator: Under the ‘Settings’ section, check the box next to ‘Run this program as an administrator.’
- Step 5: Apply and Confirm: Click ‘Apply,’ then ‘OK.’
- Step 6: Launch the Game: Now, start Cyberpunk 2077 using the same shortcut. Running the game with administrative privileges might solve the error, allowing you to resume your adventure.
Remember, running a program as an administrator gives it additional permissions, and can sometimes fix errors caused by restricted access. Now you should be ready to jump back into Night City, error-free!
Read more: Vexera not working
Fix 6: Disable Antivirus Temporarily
At times, your antivirus software may interfere with game files, leading to the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue. Temporarily disabling your antivirus might help. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Open Your Antivirus Program: Launch your antivirus software. This could be McAfee, Norton, or any other program you use.
- Step 2: Navigate to Settings: Once the program is open, find and click on ‘Settings’. The location of this option varies depending on the software.
- Step 3: Disable Real-Time Protection: In the settings, look for ‘Real-Time Protection’ or a similar feature. Turn this off temporarily. Remember to turn it back on once you’re done gaming.
- Step 4: Save Changes and Exit: Click ‘Apply’ or ‘Save’ to save your changes. Then, exit the antivirus software.
- Step 5: Launch Cyberpunk 2077: Try starting Cyberpunk 2077 now. If the antivirus was the problem, this step should resolve your issue.
Please note that while this method can resolve the problem, it might expose your computer to other potential risks. Ensure you re-enable your antivirus as soon as you’re done gaming. Enjoy your uninterrupted journey in Night City!
Fix 7: Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers can often cause the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue. Keeping your drivers updated can help. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Identify Your Graphics Card: First, identify the make and model of your graphics card. On Windows, you can do this through the ‘Device Manager’.
- Step 2: Visit Manufacturer’s Website: Next, visit the website of your graphics card’s manufacturer. This could be Nvidia, AMD, or Intel.
- Step 3: Locate the Drivers Section: On the manufacturer’s website, navigate to the ‘Drivers’ or ‘Support’ section.
- Step 4: Select Your Graphics Card Model: Enter your graphics card model in the search field, or select it from a list, depending on the website’s design.
- Step 5: Download the Latest Driver: You’ll see a list of available drivers. Download the latest one that’s compatible with your operating system.
- Step 6: Install the Driver: Once downloaded, open the installation file and follow the prompts to install the new driver.
- Step 7: Restart Your Computer: After installing the new driver, restart your computer. This ensures that the new driver is properly implemented.
- Step 8: Launch Cyberpunk 2077: Try launching Cyberpunk 2077 now. If outdated drivers were causing the error, this step should solve it.
Updating your graphics card drivers ensures optimal game performance and can often fix a variety of issues, including the dreaded ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ error. Now, it’s time to gear up and hit the streets of Night City!
Fix 8: Modify Game Configuration File
If you’re still experiencing the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ problem, modifying the game configuration file might help. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Step 1: Navigate to the Configuration File: Find the ‘user.settings’ file in your Cyberpunk 2077 directory. Typically, it’s located in the ‘Saved’ folder under ‘Cyberpunk 2077’.
- Step 2: Open the File: Right-click on the ‘user.settings’ file and choose ‘Open with’. Select ‘Notepad’ or any other text editor.
- Step 3: Modify the File: Scroll through the file until you find the lines starting with ‘TextureMemoryBudget’ and ‘PoolCPU’. Change the values to reflect your system’s hardware capabilities.
- Step 4: Save and Exit: Once you’ve made the changes, save the file and exit the text editor.
- Step 5: Launch Cyberpunk 2077: Now, try starting Cyberpunk 2077 again. If the configuration file was causing the error, this step should resolve it.
Please note that changing game files can have a significant impact on the game’s performance. Always ensure you’re modifying the right values and back up any files before editing them. Happy gaming in Night City!
Preventing ‘Cyberpunk 2077 Encountered an Error Caused by Corrupted or Missing File’ Issue
While it’s important to know how to fix the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue, preventing it from happening in the first place is even better. Here are some tips:
- Keep Your Game Updated: Frequent updates from game developers aim to fix known bugs and improve performance. Make sure your game is always updated to the latest version.
- Ensure Sufficient Storage Space: Having enough storage space on your computer allows games to function optimally. Regularly clean your hard drive to create more space.
- Keep Graphics Drivers Updated: Up-to-date graphics drivers ensure the best gaming experience. Check your graphics card manufacturer’s website regularly for driver updates.
- Run Regular Antivirus Scans: While you may need to disable your antivirus software temporarily to play, don’t forget to turn it back on and run regular scans. This helps keep your system healthy.
- Be Careful When Modifying Game Files: If you need to modify game files, always ensure you’re changing the correct values. Incorrect changes can lead to more errors.
By following these tips, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of encountering the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ issue, ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted gaming experience in Night City!
Tackling the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by corrupted or missing file’ glitch requires a proactive approach. By updating the game, verifying files, optimizing storage, reinstalling if necessary, and exploring additional fixes, gamers can overcome this hurdle and get back to enjoying the immersive world of Night City. Remember to keep drivers updated, run as administrator when needed, and consider temporarily disabling antivirus software. Prevention is key, so stay vigilant with regular updates, sufficient storage, and cautious file modifications. With these measures in place, you’ll be able to navigate through the cybernetic realm of Cyberpunk 2077 with fewer interruptions and a smoother gaming experience. Embrace the challenges, embrace the future of gaming!
The error indicates a problem with game files, either due to corruption or missing files.
Start by updating the game, verifying files, and ensuring sufficient storage space.
Consider reinstalling the game as a last resort to resolve deeper issues.
Yes, temporarily disabling antivirus can help identify if it’s interfering with game files.
Regularly check for driver updates to ensure optimal performance and compatibility.
Modifying files can help, but caution must be exercised to avoid further errors.
Keep the game updated, maintain sufficient storage, and run regular antivirus scans.
Yes, running the game as an administrator and adjusting game configuration files can be helpful.