Want to turn off your flashlight quickly and in a cool way? See how you can turn on/off the flashlight with gestures and a camera app. Learn what are the different ways of turning it on and off. See which devices support cool ways of turning the flashlight on and off. If you want to see more useful articles then check out our page. And to see useful videos then check out the Youtube channel.
In this article, we are going to see how we can turn the flashlight on our device on or off. Since there are multiple ways for doing the same task nowadays. We will see what are the different ways and then you can decide to pick the one which suits you.
The first time people used flashlights on smartphones was when the camera app turned on flash when you turn on video recording. After developers noticed this trend, they started pushing apps to turn on the flash without recording any video. Eventually, this became a standard feature on all smartphones.
Now we can turn on the flashlight from the quick settings with a single tap. But we are going to see some creative ways to turn on the flashlight, like using gestures. Let’s get started with the article now without any further delay.
- 1 How to turn on the flashlight on an Android using Quick Settings
- 2 How to turn on the flashlight on an Android using Google Assistant
- 3 How to turn on the flashlight on some Androids using a gesture
- 4 How to turn off the flashlight on an iPhone with Control Center
- 5 How to turn off an iPhone by swiping to the Camera app
- 6 Summary
How to turn on the flashlight on an Android using Quick Settings
If you have an Android device that has Android 5 (aka Lollipop) or greater then you can use quick settings to turn on/off the flashlight. This is the easiest and most used way of turning on the flashlight. Follow the steps mentioned below to turn on/off the flashlight:
- Open your smartphone and swipe down from the top of the screen. A new quick settings menu should open with different options.
- From these options, look for the flashlight icon that should look like this.
- Tap on the flashlight icon to turn it on/off. If the flashlight was already on then it will turn off, and tapping again will turn it on.
How to turn on the flashlight on an Android using Google Assistant
Now we come to the fun part, we can use Google Assistant to turn on/off the flashlight with our voice. This is only available for Android devices which have activated the Google Assistant. If you want to turn on Google assistant then follow these steps:
- Open your smartphone and then open the Assistant app, then go to “Assistant settings”.
- Once it opens, look for “Popular settings” and then tap on “Voice Match”.
- Now turn on Google Assistant, if you are not able to see it then turn on Hey Google.
Now to turn the flashlight on/off with Google assistant, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open your smartphone and tap & hold on to the “Home” button located at the bottom of the screen. Hold it until you see the Google Assitant pop-up, you should hear the pop-up sound too.
- Now if the pop-up says to speak then say “Turn off the flashlight”, but if it doesn’t then say “Ok, Google”.
- After Google assistant understands you, it will turn off the flashlight immediately. But if your command was not understood, then say it again to turn off the flashlight.
How to turn on the flashlight on some Androids using a gesture
This is the most convenient way to turn on/off the flashlight since it only requires a single swipe. However, not every smartphone will support the swipe gesture since it depends on the modified Android OS you have like Oxygen OS.
Now, there’s no definite way to tell if your phone supports it or not. So the best way to check is by following the steps and checking if the option is there or not. We have mentioned some of the ways to check:
- Open your phone and go to “Settings” and search for “Gestures”. If you find the option then tap on it, and if not then look through settings. Once the option opens, enable it and set the gesture as turning on the flashlight.
- If you have a Oneplus smartphone, then you can turn on/off the flashlight by drawing “V” on the locked screen. But to use this feature, you need to first enable it from the settings.
- If you are using a Motorola smartphone, then you can perform a “chopping” motion to turn on/off the flashlight. And we do not need to enable it since it’s enabled by default.
How to turn off the flashlight on an iPhone with Control Center
This is the most commonly used way to turn on/off the flash light since the control center is really easy to use. Follow the steps mentioned below to use the control center:
- Wake up your iPhone and unlock it, now swipe up from the bottom of the screen or the top-right corner of the screen.
- Now a new menu should open and you should be able to see multiple buttons.
- From the different buttons, tap on the flashlight icon to turn it on and off. And that’s it! Now you can turn on the flashlight the traditional; way.
How to turn off an iPhone by swiping to the Camera app
This is an alternate way to turn your flash light on/off, however, it’s not as straightforward as the previous way. Follow the steps mentioned below to use this tricky way:
- Wake up your iPhone and open the camera app.
- Now if your flashlight was already turned on, then it will be turned off automatically.
- This is a faster way to turn off the flashlight if you have the muscle memory of using the camera fast enough. We would recommend giving it a try and deciding for yourself.
In the article, we saw how we can turn on/off the flashlight in different ways. We would recommend giving these different ways a try since it can be faster for you. And if your Android smartphone supports gesture control we would recommend using them. Gesture controls make it easy to perform the tasks which you do most often.
If you are stuck anywhere then feel free to drop down your query in the comment section below. We are more than happy to help out our readers.