Stuck with not being able to cast the screen on your TV? Learn how you can use the Samsung screen mirroring feature on your phone to display your phone screen on your TV or desktop. See how you can do screencasting with Quick settings and Smart view apps. Learn how you can download and use the Reflector app on your Windows or Mac/MacBook. If you are stuck anywhere then check out the video on our YouTube channel. Learn our best remedies to fix Samsung Screen Mirroring not working.
- 1 What is Screen Mirroring?
- 2 How to do screen mirroring from your Samsung smartphone to your TV
- 3 How to Screen Mirror Samsung Phones with Quick Settings App
- 4 Summary
What is Screen Mirroring?
It is a feature of your Samsung phone with which you can share your screen on a bigger display such as a Samsung TV (or any smart TV). The screen of your phone is transmitted to a smart TV with the help of the internet. This is a very quick and effective way of projecting anything on your TV unlike old methods such as USB, cables, etc. With screen mirroring you can share photos, videos, youtube, games, and more.
But your phone and TV should be connected to the same WiFi connection for screen mirroring to work. Along with the WiFi connection, your phone should also have SmartThings and Smart View apps. And if you have a Samsung smart TV then the connection will be more seamless and quick.
NOTE: If you have a smart TV that came in 2020 or later, then you can use screen mirroring with a single tap.
How to do screen mirroring from your Samsung smartphone to your TV
With screen mirroring you can share any media on your TV with some simple steps, your phone, and TV both connected. If you are not sure what screen mirroring is then check the previous section as in this section we will see the steps of connecting your phone with your TV.
Now before we can jump in the guide, you should check if you have all the required software and they are updated. But if you are not sure which software to install or update then it will be in the steps below. Follow these steps to update your phone:
- Open your phone and go to Settings, search Software update or scroll all the way down.
- Open it and then look for “Download and install”, tap on it.
- Now if there is any update available then you will see instructions there, if not then you will be shown “You are up to date”.
Follow the steps to connect your phone and TV via Samsung screen mirroring:
Mirror screening with Smart View
If you are new to screen mirroring then this method is best since it is very easy to implement. But this requires a WiFi connection, and both phone and TV should be connected to the same network. Now follow the steps to connect your phone and TV with Smart View:
- Open your Samsung smartphone and then swipe down from the top of the screen, the top menu (Quick Panel) should open. Search for the “Smart View” button and tap on it.
- A new window should open, your TV’s name should be visible in the list, enter the PIN to connect if required. If the name is not visible then check if TV is connected to the WiFi and wait for the name to appear.
- Click on the name of your TV and a message will appear “Start casting with Smart View?”. Approve if needed and your display should be visible.
Adjust aspect ratio
Now if you are using the screen with a different aspect ratio or the dimensions don’t fit properly. Follow these steps to change the aspect ratio:
- Open your Samsung smartphone and then swipe down from the top of the screen, the top menu (Quick Panel) should open. Look for the “Smart View” icon and tap on it.
- Now tap on the three dots at the top of the screen, in the menu tap on “Settings” and then on “Phone aspect ratio”.
- Now select the “Full Screen” option for the connected device, this should cover the whole TV screen.
NOTE: If you want to keep the settings the same the next time then select the “Remember settings” option. This will avoid you having to manually change the settings again and again. However, some apps will restart once you select this option which can cause the screencasting connection to break.
Keep these things in mind while connecting phone and TV:
- Both of your devices (phone and TV) should be connected to the same WiFi network. Some TV may not connect to the same WiFi, you need to change some settings and turn the TV on and off.
- Along with WiFi, check if your TV allows the Smart View to connect or not. Go to Settings -> General -> External Device Manager -> Device Connect Manager -> Access Notification.
How to Screen Mirror Samsung Phones with Quick Settings App
This is the other method of connecting our phone to the tablets, this also uses the Smart View app but the steps are different. However, this will not work if you are using any device which is running Android 10 or older. This is a percent problem since Samsung disabled the feature on purpose for older phones, TVs, computer monitors, speakers, etc.
The good news is that, if you are using the latest version of Android (Android 11), then the connection is very fast and robust. You can easily connect the phone and tablet with a few simple steps, in this section, we will see how you can use Chromecast for mirroring purposes. The following steps will work for Samsung S10, Note10, A71, Fold 2, and later, Galaxy Tab S7, A7, and later.
Things to keep in mind:
- Your phone and tablet should have the Quick Settings app, if not then you can download it from here. The app should enable the Google Cast on both devices which will let us connect them.
- Do not confuse the Quick settings app with the Quick settings on your phone, they both are different. We need the Quick Settings App to enable Google cast, so download the app on both devices.
- But if you need to wirelessly mirror on your desktop then you need to download a separate app “Reflector”. The app will allow us to cast the screen on our desktop.
Why do we need the Reflector app?
We have seen the requirement of the Reflector but what is the importance? Below are the reasons why we need the app:
- The app allows us to cast the screen on multiple devices at once, we can even cast a screen from an iPhone to on Google.
- We can also make a recording of the cased screen which is not possible without the app
- Along with the video, we can also record the audio and voice over if there is any
- If any webcam is present on the system then you can record it along with the casted screen
- The app also allows us to share the screen in apps like Google meets, zoom, Microsoft teams.
- There is more functionality provided by the app, check the developer’s website for more.
How to Cast and Screen Mirroring Samsung Phones and Tablets
As we have mentioned above, the Android OS version should be above 11, if not then you will not be able to cast the screen. Follow the steps mentioned below to cast the screen on and from the Samsung tablet:
- IF you are using your system (Windows or Mac) then download the “Reflector” app from here. Install it on your system before moving to the next step.
- Now connect both of your devices on the same WiFi connection, this step is very crucial since casting will not work without it.
- Now download and install the “Quick Settings” app from here on your Samsung phone and tablet. The app is completely free and is not the same as the quick settings which are on all android devices.
- Once installed, open the Quick settings app on your phone and select “Multimedia”.
- Now tap on “Cast” and then tap on the enable button, this will start the quick settings. You will be shown a message with confirmation of Quick settings, tap on Ok to give confirmation.
- Once done with it, pull down the quick settings tray from the top (you need to swipe down twice). In the menu, you should be able to see a lot of icons, tap on the three dots at the top of the screen.
- Tap on the “Order” button in the menu.
- Now you should be able to see the cast icon in the menu, tap on it and drag the cast icon, drop it in the tray. Place the icon so that it is accessible to you without going inside the menu. Tap done at the bottom once you place the icon where you wanted to.
- The quick access menu (drag from top) will always have the cast option in it after saving, you can do this to save all the options which you need on a constant basis.
- Tap on the cast icon after it and a new window should open, and you should be able to see the list of devices that are available for screencasting. Make sure all the devices are on the same WiFi network, and the Reflector app is turned on in your Windows or Mac.
- Tap on the name of the device where you want to cast the screen and give confirmation if needed.
In the article, we learned how we can share our screen on a desktop or tablet. If you are confused with any part of the guide then go through the steps one by one. The most important thing is to keep all devices on the same WiFi network, if you skip this part then you will not be able to see the device name in the screen mirroring list.
Keep in mind that some devices do not allow it if you connect them with other brand devices, for that you should try to use a Samsung phone with a Samsung tablet or TV for the best result.